Meet the blogger
My life, in 60 seconds
I grew up in suburban Los Angeles. Moved to Michigan to play college hockey. What? Seriously. Hockey didn't work out. Settled on journalism. Met girl of my dreams (now wife) while in college. Encountered the wondrous Great Lakes. Never returned to California. Blessed with three wonderful children. Worked as a reporter and editor for 25 years at several Michigan newspapers. Wrote two books. Left the newspaper industry in 2009. Started my own writing and media consulting business (J. Alexander Communications). Now a contract writer for hire. I enjoy kayaking, hiking, reading, watching pro hockey and college football, traveling, exploring the Great Lakes and occasionally trying to rise above the rank of world's worst angler. And I blog about the Great Lakes because these freshwater seas are, in a word, incredible. Thanks for visiting!
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.
- Baby, it’s cold outside … and winter is far from over
- Key decision protects Au Sable River as new report highlights emerging threats to one of Michigan’s greatest rivers
- Christmas comes early for the Great Lakes
- 2013 Lake Erie toxic algae bloom worse than predicted
- D-Day for the Great Lakes: Asian carp are breeding in the basin
Blogs I Follow
Tag Archives: wetlands
Michigan calls itself “The Great Lakes State,” but the Sierra Club recently gave the Legislature a failing grade on environmental issues. The Sierra Club said the 2011-2012 class of state lawmakers was “by far the most anti-environmental Legislature we’ve had … Continue reading